To ensure a successful exam, please follow all instructions carefully.
You MUST arrange a ride for the day of your exam. If you fail to arrange acceptable transportation, your procedure will need to be rescheduled. If you must cancel or reschedule your appointment, please call our office as soon as possible.
Before your Exam:
Fill prescription for MoviPrep at your local pharmacy.
7 days before you Colonoscopy:
- If you take aspirin or NSAIDS such as Advil, Motrin, Celebrex or Ibuprofen, you may continue to take them as usual unless otherwise instructed by your physician.
- If you take a blood thinner, such as Plavix(Clopidogrel), Coumadin, (warfarin), Effient (Prasugrel), hold it for 5 days and Pradaxa (dabigatran), Eliquis (Apixaban), Xarelto (rivaroxaban) hold it for 3 days prior to your procedure with approval of your cardiologist.
- Stop taking iron supplements: ferrous sulfate or polysaccharide iron complex.
3 days before your Colonoscopy:
Stop eating all nuts, seeds and popcorn
1 day before your colonoscopy:
Mix first dose of MoviPrep by emptying one Pouch A and one Pouch B into the container. Add lukewarm drinking water to the top line of the container and mix to dissolve. If preferred, mix solution ahead of time and refrigerate prior to drinking. The mixed solution must be used within 24 hours.
At 4 pm, begin drinking the prep. The MoviPrep container is divided by 4 marks. Every 15 minutes drink the solution down to the next mark (approximately 8 oz.), until the full liter has been consumed. Repeat the steps for the second dose. Over the course of the evening, drink an additional 32 oz of clear liquids.
Allowed Clear Liquids:
- Gatorade, Pedialyte, or Powerade
- Coffee or tea (no milk or non-dairy creamer)
- Carbonated and non-carbonated soft drinks
- Kool-Aid or other fruit-flavored drinks
- Apple juice, white cranberry juice, or white grape juice
- Jell-O, popsicles
Liquids - NOT allowed:
- Chicken, beef, or vegetable broth
- Red or purple items of any kind
- Milk or non-dairy creamer
- Juice with pulp
- Hard candy
- Any liquid you cannot see through
Day of your Colonoscopy:
Nothing to drink after midnight. You may take all of your usual morning medications with 4 oz. of water up to 2 hours prior to your procedure
You are ready for the exam if you followed all instructions and your stool is no longer formed, but clear or yellow liquid.
- Stay near a toilet! You will have diarrhea, which can be quite sudden. This is normal.
- Continue to drink the prep solution every 15 minutes as directed. Occasionally, this may involve drinking the solution while sitting on the toilet.
- Rarely, people may experience nausea or vomiting with the prep. If this occurs, give yourself a 30-90minute break, rinse your mouth or brush your teeth, then continue drinking the prep solution.
- It is common to experience abdominal discomfort until the stool has flushed from your colon (this may take 2 to 4 hours, and occasionally significantly longer).
- Anal skin irritation or a flare of hemorrhoidal inflammation may occur and can be treated with a variety of over the counter remedies including hydrocortisone creams, baby wipes or Tucks pads. Avoid products containing alcohol. If you have a prescription for hemorrhoid cream, you may use it. Do not use suppositories.